SOCIAL NETWORKS AS A FACTOR OF CHANGES IN POLITICAL CULTURE AND POLITICAL PRACTICES IN UKRAINE: RISKS AND PERSPECTIVES
The article analyzes changes in the political culture and political practices of Ukrainian citizens related to the spread of the new Internet communication format – social networks. The characteristics of network communication, such as radical democracy, access to the global information market, rapid implementation of technological innovations, etc, are outlined. The social networks are shown as an important decisive factor of public opinion shaping, political agenda and political culture in Ukraine. This gives rise to specific humanitarian safety risks. It is fixed the threat of information and communication influence by the Russian security services on the consciousness of Ukrainians through social networks. Appropriately it is proposed the measures to minimize this threat, as well as to introduce a more active, offensive strategy in the information and communication field. There are also outlined the risks to national consolidation cased by the low level of communicative culture, excessive emotionality and politicization of Ukrainian network users. Complicating communication strategies has been identified as a promising area for humanitarian policy, as it enables national security to be strengthened without the offensive on free speech or repressive measures. At present, the Ukrainian state is not using this new communication format effectively enough. In this regard, it is proposed to carry out a series of educational activities and initiatives of various levels aimed at promoting the level of communication culture of Ukrainians. Implementation of these measures would help launch the deliberation processes, consolidation of Ukrainian citizens, search for consensus and innovative solutions of the problems that are currently polarizing society. It is shown that such a direction of humanitarian policy is in line with the democratic traditions of Ukrainian political culture and the constitutional foundations of the Ukrainian state.
2. Danko, Yu. A. (2012). Sotsialni merezhi yak forma suchasnoi komunitatsii: pliusy i minusy [Social networks as a form of modern communication: pros and cons]. Suchasnesu spilstvo – Modern Society, 2, 179–184 [in Ukrainian].
3. Burmahin, O., Dutsyk, D., Kuzhel, R., Kuzmenko, Y., & Yurkova, O. (2019). Pidsumkoviy zvit za rezultatamy nezalezhnoho monitorynhu vysvitlennia v media prezydentskoi vyborchoi kampanii v Ukraini [Final report of the independent monitoring of media coverage of the presidential election campaign in Ukraine]. Kyiv (117 p.) [in Ukrainian].
4. Ukraina na 4 mistsi za nadiinistiu Internetu – doslidzhennia [Ukraine ranks 4th in Internet reliability – research]. (n. d.). Telekrytyka – Telecritic. telekritika.ua. Retrieved from https://telekritika.ua/uk/digital/ukraina-na-4-meste- po-nadezhnosti-interneta-issledovanie/ (viewed 10.12. 2019) [in Ukrainian].
5. Proniknovenie Interneta v Ukraine [Internet penetration in Ukraine]. (2019). Factum Group Ukraine. inau.ua. Retrieved from https://inau.ua/sites/default/files/file/1903/dani_ustanovchyh_doslidzhen_za_1-y_kvartal_2019_0. pdf (viewed 10.12. 2019) [in Russian].
6. Osypova, I. I. (Ed.). (2018). Dostyp domohospodarstv Uktainy do Internetu (za danymy vybirkovoho obstezhennia umov zhyttia domohospodarstv Ukrainy) [Access of Ukrainian households to the Internet (according to a sample survey of living conditions of Ukrainian households)]. Kyiv: Derzhavna sluzhba statystyky Ukrainy (48 p.) [in Ukrainian].
7. Yevroparlament pryiniav rezoliutsiu pro feiky i propahandu [The European Parliament adopted a Resolution on fakes and propaganda]. (n. d.). Korrespondent – Correspondent. ua.korrespondent.net. Retrieved from https:// ua.korrespondent.net/world/4148586-yevroparlament-pryiniav-rezoluitsiui-pro-feiky-i-propahandu (viewed 10.12. 2019) [in Ukrainian].
8. Yakovlev, M. V. (2011). Suchasni metody doslidzhennia politychnoho aktyvizmu on-lain [Current Methods for Researching of Political Activism Online]. Stratehichni priorytety – Strategic Priorities, 4 (21), 75–79 [in Ukrainian].
9. Danko, Yu. (2015). Sotsialni merezhi yak zasib politychnoi komunikatsii [Social networks as a means of political communication]. Evropský politický a právní diskurz – European Political and Legal Discourse. Vol. 2. Iss. 2 (pp. 204–209) [in Ukrainian].
10. Chupryna, L. (2015). Sotsialni merezhi yak instrument realizatsii hromadskykh initsiatyv [Social networks as a tool for implementing public initiatives]. Naukovi pratsi Natsionalnoi biblioteky Ukrainy im. V. I. Vernadskoho – Scientific Works of the V. I. Vernadsky National Library of Ukraine. Iss. 41 (pp. 54–68) [in Ukrainian].
11. Shaparenko, O. V. (2013). Deliberatyvna funktsia sotsialnykh merezh [The deliberative function of social networks]. Visnyk Kharkivskoho natsionalnoho pedahohichnoho universytety im. G. S. Skovorody. Philosophia – Bulletin of Kharkiv G. S. Skovoroda National Pedagogical University. Philosophy. Iss. 41 (1) (pp. 58–68) [in Ukrainian].
12. Kornievskyi, O., & Nechyporenko, V. (2018). Deliberate component of stable sustaining of Ukraine’s political system. Stratehichni priorytety – Strategic Priorities, 2 (47), 5–11 [in English].
13. Dziundziuk, B. V. (2016). Instrumenty spryiannia onlain-deliberatsii v umovakh virtualizatsii suspilnykh vidnosyn [Tools for facilitating online deliberation in the context of social relations virtualization]. Aktualni problem derzhavnoho upravlinnia – Actual Problems of Governance, 1, 211–216 [in Ukrainian].
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.