PROBLEMS OF FUNCTIONING OF THE DEPOSITS GUARANTEE SYSTEM IN UKRAINE AND ITS APPROXIMATION TO EU REQUIREMENTS
The relevance of the publication is due to the need to analyze the effectiveness of the Deposit Guarantee Scheme developed in Ukraine in the context of identified problems related to the clearing of the banking system of Ukraine by withdrawing from the market «schematic» and under-capitalized banks that had poor credit portfolios. The purpose of the article is to investigate the problems of the activity of the Deposit Guarantee Fund in Ukraine and to substantiate recommendations and measures for the improvement of this system. Research methods: terminological and statistical analysis, comparison, logical generalization, analysis, synthesis. The limits of the study: the analysis is limited by the study of internal factors for the period 2013–2018, as well as the available statistical information as of November 2019.
The analysis of the main problems of the DGF activities has allowed to identify the key ones, which are currently: incorrect definition of the objectives of the Deposit Guarantee Scheme in Ukraine, which are enshrined in the DGF Development Strategy for 2013–2017; the lack of adequate interaction of the deposit guarantee system with other elements of the system of ensuring financial stability; limited resources of the Fund and lack of tools for profitable placement of own funds; a small amount of the guaranteed deposit amount for bank deposits and a limited number of claimants for reimbursement.
The results of the analysis suggested ways to ensure approximation of national banking legislation to guarantee deposits to the requirements of the European Union, in particular to Directive 2014/49/EU and 2014/59/EU: clarification of legal terminology (definition of terms «unavailable contribution»; «contributory contribution»; «guarantee»; «target level»; «low risk assets», etc.); attribution to the main task of the Fund the protection of the rights of all contributors, including legal entities, financial institutions, etc. with the corresponding extension of the Fund's powers; changes to the Fund's financing system and investment principles of the Deposit Guarantee Scheme in line with EU standards, etc.
The findings and recommendations obtained from the analysis will have a positive effect on improving the efficiency of the deposit guarantee system in Ukraine and bringing it closer to EU requirements.
2. Baldych, N. (2009). Derzhavne harantuvannia vkladiv ta problem asymetrychnosti informatsii v bankivskomu sektori [Government guarantee of deposits and problems of asymmetry of information in the banking sector]. Visnyk Natsionalnoi akademii derzhavnoho upravlinnia – Bulletin of the National Academy of Public Administration, 4, 55–63 [in Ukrainian].
3. Dovhan, Zh. (2012). Strakhuvannia depozytiv u zabezpechenni finansovoi stiikosti bankivskoho sektoru [Deposit insurance in ensuring the financial stability of the banking sector]. Naukovi zapysky Natsionalnoho universytetu «Ostrozka akademiia» – Scientific Notes of the National University of Ostroh Academy, 206, 187–191 [in Ukrainian].
4. Karcheva, T., Tryvailo, A., Soroka, V. (2016). Pobudova efektyvnoi systemy strakhuvannia depozytiv: vitchyznianyi ta zarubizhnyi dosvid [Building an effective deposit insurance system: domestic and foreign experience]. Chernihivskyi naukovyi chasopys – Chernihiv Scientific Journal, 1 (7), 118 [in Ukrainian].
5. Kovalenko, V. (2013). Rozvytok systemy harantuvannia vkladiv do i pislia kryzy [Development of a deposit guarantee system before and after the crisis]. Visnyk sotsialno-ekonomichnykh doslidzhen – Bulletin of Socio-Economic Research, 1 (48), 96–102 [in Ukrainian].
6. Serpeninova, Yu. (2014). Vidpovidnist natsionalnoi systemy harantuvannia vkladiv fizychnykh osib svitovym standartam efektyvnosti [Compliance of the National Deposit Guarantee Scheme with the World Performance Standards]. Problemy i perspektyvy rozvytku bankivskoyi systemy Ukrainy – Problems and Prospects of Development of the Banking System of Ukraine, 38. Sumy: UABSNBU (pp. 240–250) [in Ukrainian].
7. Berger, G. S. (1994). Reforming Deposit Insurance and the Regulatory System: the Failure of the Middle Way. Cato Journal. Vol. 14, No. 2 (Fall 1994), (pp. 221–241) [in English].
8. Buser, S., Chen, A., & Kane, E. J. (1981). Federal Deposit Insurance, Regulatory Policy, and Optimal Bank Capital. Journal of Finance. Vol. 36, No. 1 (pp. 51–60) [in English].
9. Calomiris, Ch. W. (1996). Building an Incentive-Compatible Safety Net: Special Problems for Developing Countries. Columbia University [in English].
10. Chari, V. V., & Jagannathan, R. (1988). Banking Panics, Information, and Rational Expectations Equilibrium. Journal of Finance. Vol. 43, No. 3 (pp. 749–761) [in English].
11. Demirgüç-Kunt, A., & Detragiache, E. (1998). Financial Liberalization and Financial Fragility. IMF Working Paper, No. 98/83 [in English].
12. Dowd, K. (1993). Deposit Insurance: A Skeptical View. Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louise. Vol. 75, No. 1 (pp. 14–17) [in English].
13. Ely, B. (1985). Yes-Private Insurance is a Viable Alternative to Federal Deposit Insurance. Proceedings of a Conference on Bank Structure and Competition, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago [in English].
14. Folkerts-Landau, D., & Lindgren, C.-J. (1998). Toward a Framework for Financial Stability. IMF. www.imf.org. Retrieved from http://www.imf.org/ external/pubs/ft/wefs/toward/index.htm (viewed 23.12.2019) [in English].
15. Garcia, G. G. H. (1999). Deposit Insurance: a Survey of Actual and Best Practices. IMF Working Paper, No. 99/54 [in English].
16. Zvit pro diialnist Rady z finansovoi stabilnosti (serpent 2018 – lypen 2019) [Financial Stability Board Performance Report (August 2018 – July 2019)]. (2019). nbu1.bank.gov.ua. Retrieved from https://nbu1.bank.gov.ua/files/ aoSleFuHsNunyON (viewed 23.12.2019) [in Ukrainian].
17. Pro Zahalnoderzhavnu prohramu adaptatsii akonodavstva Ukrainy do zakonodavstva Yevropeiskoho Soiuzu : Zakon Ukrainy vid 18.03.2004 № 1629-IV [On the National Program of Adaptation of the Legislation of Ukraine to the Legislation of the European Union: Law of Ukraine of 18.03.2004 No. 1629-ІV]. (2004). zakon.rada.gov.ua. Retrieved from https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/218-19 (viewed 23.12.2019) [in Ukrainian].
18. Pro implementatsiiu Uhody pro asotsiatsiiu mizh Ukrainoiu, z odniiei storony, ta Yevropeiskym Soiuzom, Yevropeiskym Spivtovarystvom z atomnoi enerhii i yikhnimy derzhavamy-chlenamy, z inshoi storony : Rozporiadzhennia Kabinetu Ministriv Ukrainy vid 17.09.2014 № 847-r [On the Implementation of the Association Agreement between Ukraine, of the one part, and the European Union, the European Atomic Energy Community and their Member States, of the other part: Decree of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine of 17.09.2014 No. 847- r]. (2014). docs.dtkt.ua. Retrieved from https://docs.dtkt.ua/download/pdf/1095.12605.8v (viewed 23.12.2019) [in Ukrainian].
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.