ENSURING ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION IN EASTERN UKRAINE IN THE CONTEXT OF DONBAS REINTEGRATION
Priorities for ensuring environmental security in the zone of military conflict in Eastern Ukraine as components of environmental protection in the context of the reintegration of temporarily occupied territories of Donetsk and Luhansk regions have been identified. It is noted that about 3.6 million people in the regions along the demarcation line face problems with access to clean water. It is emphasized that as a result of hostilities there was a large-scale destruction and damage to critical infrastructure. This has led to an imbalance in the temporarily occupied territory, as well as a dangerous decline in the level of environmental protection in the region, which is home to about 5 million people. It is emphasized that uncontrolled flooding of many mines leads to an increase in the number and scale of manifestation of dangerous environmental factors for the life of the population and increasing socio-economic tensions in the area up to 15 thousand km2. At the same time, mine waters rise to the surface and begin to flow into small rivers, flooding cities and entering the Seversky Donets River, which is used for water supply to about 70 % of the population of Donetsk region. It is emphasized that increasing the level of environmental safety, restoring the environment of Donbas in the context of forming an environmental protection program is a necessary prerequisite for its reintegration. The current threats to the security of water supply in eastern Ukraine, the intensification of which is associated with the deterioration of the environmental situation in the region, are analyzed. It is emphasized that in the conditions of flooding of mines and pollution of reservoirs in the temporarily occupied territories of Donetsk and Luhansk regions there is a pollution of water sources and deterioration of quality of drinking water. Thus, pollution of reservoirs in the temporarily occupied territories of Donetsk and Luhansk regions poses an urgent threat to 300 thousand inhabitants of the region. In order to ensure environmental security in Eastern Ukraine, recommendations are proposed on a set of measures to ensure environmental protection in Eastern Ukraine as a necessary prerequisite for the reintegration of the temporarily occupied territories.
2. Analitychnyi ohliad stanu tekhnohennoi ta pryrodnoi bezpeky v Ukraini za 2018 rik [Analytical review of the state of man-made and natural safety in Ukraine for 2018]. (n. d.). www.dsns.gov.ua. Retrieved from https://www.dsns. gov.ua/ua/Analitichniy-oglyad-stanu-tehnogennoyi-ta-prirodnoyi-bezpeki-v--Ukrayini-za-2015-rik.html (viewed 17.06.2020) [in Ukrainian].
3. Yakovliev, Ye., & Chumachenko, S. (2017). Ecological Threats in Donbas, Ukraine. Geneva: Center for Humanitarian Dialogue [in English].
4. Kodryk, A. I., Yakovliev, Ye. O., Chumachenko, S. M., & Partalian, A. S. (2018). Metodychni pidkhody do heoinformatsiinoho analizu ekoloho-tekhnohennykh zahroz dlia vuhlepromyslovykh raioniv Donbasu (na prykladi PAO «Lysychanskvuhillia» ta DP «Pervomaiskvuhillia») [Methodical approaches to geoinformation analysis of ecological and technogenic threats for coal-mining areas of Donbass (on the example of PJSC «Lysychansk Coal» and SE «Pervomaisk Coal")]. Matematychne modeliuvannia v ekonomitsi – Mathematical Modeling in Economics, 4 (13), 5–20 [in Ukrainian].
5. Ivanіuta, S. P., & Kachynskyi, A. B. (2012). Ekolohichna ta pryrodno-tekhnohenna bezpeka Ukrainy: rehionalnyi vymir zahroz i ryzykiv [Ecological and natural-technogenic safety of Ukraine: regional dimension of threats and risks]. Kyiv: NISS (308 p.) [in Ukrainian].
6. Otsinka ekolohichnoi shkody ta priorytety vidnovlennia dovkillia na skhodi Ukrainy [Assessment of environmental damage and environmental recovery priorities in Eastern Ukraine]. (2017). Kyiv: VAITE (88 p.) [in Ukrainian].
7. Shchilnist vykydiv v atmosferu vid statsionarnykh dzherel zabrudnennia za rehionamy u 2019 r. [Density of emissions into the atmosphere from stationary sources of pollution by regions in 2019]. (2019). ukrstat.gov.ua. Retrieved from http://ukrstat.gov.ua/operativ/operativ2018/ns/vzrap2018_u.xls (viewed 17.06.2020) [in Ukrainian].
8. Try shakhty na okupovanii Luhanshchyni budut zatopleni [Three mines in the occupied Luhansk region will be flooded]. (n. d.). dt.ua. Retrieved from https://dt.ua/UKRAINE/u-moskvi-virishili-zakriti-nerentabelni-shahti-v- orlo-338852_.html (viewed 17.06.2020) [in Ukrainian].
9. Porusheno robotu dvokh vodoskhovyshch [The work of two reservoirs was disrupted]. (n. d.). mtot.gov.ua. Retrieved from https://mtot.gov.ua/ua/zabrudnennja-vodoshovisch-na-timchasovo-okupovanih-teritorijah-doneckoii-i- luganskoii-oblaste-stvorjue-nebezpeku-dlja-300-tis-gromadjan (viewed 17.06.2020) [in Ukrainian].
10. Zaborhovanist kompanii «Voda Donbasu» [Debt of the Company «Water of Donbas"]. (n. d.). dnews.dn.ua. Retrieved from https://dnews.dn.ua/news/748776 (viewed 18.06.2020) [in Ukrainian].
11. Sekretar Rady natsionalnoi bezpeky i oborony Ukrainy Oleksii Danilov proviv zustrich z holovoiu Predstavnytstva YuNISEF v Ukraini Lottoiu Silvander [Oleksiy Danilov, Secretary of the National Security and Defense Council of Ukraine, met with Lotta Silvander, Head of the UNICEF Office in Ukraine]. (n. d.). www.rnbo.gov.ua. Retrieved from https://www.rnbo.gov.ua/ua/Diialnist/4613.html (viewed 17.06.2020) [in Ukrainian].
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.