THE ONTOLOGY OF THE HYBRID WAR: INTERPLAY OF HIDDEN MEANINGS
The paper explores some qualitatively new characteristics of hybrid warfare related to the changes in the international security environment in the context of globalization. An adequate deﬁnition of the nature of violent conﬂict is directly linked to the elaboration and testing of means for protection against an aggression. The authors are founded upon the idea that there is a relation between basic epistemic principles and new military theories along with new modes of warfare. The point of issue is about the connection between the hybrid war and postmodern relativism including its struggle against power. Special focus is given to the role of identities together with signiﬁcance of cognitive domain of hybrid war. The conﬂict of the controversial narratives on the war in Donbas is examined. The ‘civil war’ narrative has a negative impact on the Minsk Process. There are also some diffculties and challenges connecting with the concept of victory in hybrid war in Ukraine.
2. Nordin, Astrid H. M, Oberg, Dan. (2015). Targeting the Ontology of War: From Clausewitz to Baudrillard Millennium. Journal of International Studies, Vol. 43 (2), 392– 410 [in English].
3. Lovelace, Douglas C. Jr. (ed.). (2016). Hybrid warfare and the gray zone threat. (Oxford: Oxford Univ. Press [in English].
4. Renz, B., & Smith, H. (2016). Russia and Hybrid Warfare: Going beyond the Label. (Report 1). (n.d). vnk.fi. Retrieved from http://vnk.fi/en/government-s-analysis-assessment- and-research-activities [in English].
5. Zerkal, Olena. (2017). Haazskyi gambit [Gambit in the Hague]. Dzerkalo Tyzhnia – Mirror Weekly. (Published: 16 Sept.). gazeta.dt.ua. Retrived from https://gazeta.dt.ua/ international/gaazkiy-gambit-242980_.html [in Ukrainian].
6. Kaldor, M. (2015). Novyie i staryie voiny: organizovannoe nasilie v globalnuyu epokhu [New and Old Wars: Organized Violence in a Global Era]. Moscow: Gaidar Institute Publishing House [in Russian].
7. Baudrillard, Jean (2016). Dukh terrorizma. Voiny v Zalivie nie bylo [Spirit of Terrorisme. The War in Gulf Did Not Take Place]. (A. Kachalov, Trans.). Moscow: RIPOL [in Russian].
8. Danner, Mark, Kirkpatrick, Jeanne, Kolakowski, Leszek, et al. (2017). Terrorism and the Media. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.markdanner.com/articles/terrorisme-and-the- media [in English].
9. Houghton, Nicholas (2015). Building a British military fitf or future challenges rather than past conflicts. (Speech by Chief of the Defence Staff). (Published: 16 Sept). gov.uk. Retrieved from https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/ building-a-british-military-fit-for-future-challenges-ratherthan-past-conflicts [in English].